18 Comments

1. DjParagon
    November 16, 2011 @ 11:10 am

YEAAAHHHH !!!

Have fun everyone, thank you so much Rob, and long live Waves !

See you on the leaderboard !

2. IWantedADifferntName
    November 16, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

YES!!! finally out 😛

3. Jaklar
    November 16, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

This game kicks ass. I’ve played every dual-stick shooter ever made, and that ain’t no idle boast. I’m serious. I’m old enough to remember racking up quarters on the original Robotron, so I go back….and on every platform.

I have a dual-stick shooter sickness.

Waves is great fun, very challenging, thanks to the superb scoring system; a key element most designers neglect.

I see Mr. Orange is in the top 10….I remember you from Infinity Field! It’s on, Orange!

• Mr. Orange
      November 17, 2011 @ 11:33 am

Haha, what a surpise seeing you here! This game kicks serious ass indeed! Bring on the leaderboard battle 😛

4. xboxer
    November 16, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

I just played the demo and it was AMAZING! Good job Rob! Now Beat Hazard better watch out. 🙂

I posted a thread on SPUF http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26407475#post26407475 to tell everyone about it.

You should get Steam to give Waves its own sub-forum.

5. james
    November 17, 2011 @ 2:51 am

YES. Bought it. Win. 😀

6. Blake
    November 18, 2011 @ 1:12 am

Just played the demo of this an it’s incredibly fun and seemed like it could be pretty competitive – then purchased on Steam.

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED!? In the full version the mouse control is just brutally inaccurate and the vertical axis ‘sticks’ unless you move the mouse past a certain speed.

As a competitive UT player I have spent many hours messing with .ini files, but I haven’t been able to fix this yet. I use very low sensitivity and found that setting in the .ini in about 3 minutes, but this screwed up mouse axis is ticking me off.

I hope you can provide some help. Please don’t make me go on a rampage spreading word of how unplayable the game is and what a waste of $8.50 it was 😉

• Rob
      November 18, 2011 @ 1:30 am

The demo and the full version are exactly the same codewise so I have no idea what’s going on. This is the first time I’ve heard about this problem. If you have a control pad plugged in then try unplugging it as it may be interfering. Other than that try verifying the steam cache.

EDIT: Actually the vertical axis “stick” is what happens when the game detects that you are using a control pad but you aren’t moving the right stick. It sounds like you have a control pad plugged in that either isn’t calibrated or the left stick is just enough past the deadzone to trigger input. Either unplug the pad or increase the pad deadzone in settings.

• Blake
      November 18, 2011 @ 1:47 am

The fast reply is much appreciated!

I just verified the cache and it reacquired 4 files. Seems to have fixed my issues. I’ll give a review once I’ve played a bit 😀

On that note – my only suggestion is to make the mouse sensitivity slider a user-editable number or give the slider a much wider range. Changing this will really cater to the competitive players.

The slowest stock setting is about 5 times too fast for me. As a UT player I used extremely low sens, for example, to turn around once 360deg in game I move my mouse 50cm.

• Rob
      November 18, 2011 @ 1:58 am

You can edit the UDKSettings.ini file located in your My Documents/MyGames/Waves/UDKGame/Config folder to specify a different mouse sensitivity. It’ll get clamped between 1 and 2 if you edit the controls settings in game though.

Let me know what you end up using and I’ll see about adjusting the UI to incorporate a wider range in an update. Not many people changed the sensitivity during beta so I’m interested in your feedback on it.

7. Blake
    November 18, 2011 @ 2:06 am

Way ahead of you on using the .ini 😛 but I am currently using 0.25

Is there a way to open the console in-game so I can change that value on the fly?

8. Leart
    November 18, 2011 @ 2:43 am

Hello,
    Originally I downloaded the demo, but after a couple of exhilarating minutes I purchased the game through Steam. My problem is that during gameplay a type of enemy, the expanding green ones after level 4, are completely invisible to me for some reason. I can shoot at them, they can hit me but other than that I have no idea whether I’m going to die at any second since I can’t see them. Any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance.

• Rob
      November 18, 2011 @ 5:32 am

If this is happening every game then try verifying the steam cache for the game. It sounds like you might be missing a file or a file is corrupt. If this doesn’t fix it then email me the launch.log file from your MyDocuments/My Games/Waves/UDKGame/Logs/ directory to rob [at] squidinabox [dot] com.

• Leart
      November 18, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

I sent you an e-mail with further information. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

9. Riley
    November 19, 2011 @ 4:07 am

I am an avid player of Geometry Wars and think this is an excellent addition to the twin stick genre. The controls feel a little sluggish when moving from other shooters to Waves and collision detection doesn’t seem to be as forgiving but both of those just serve to make the game more challenging.

The only thing that I find a detractor is the excessive amount of in-game UI that I can’t seem to disable. The ring around the player’s “ship” showing the region for up close kills and the line showing the direction of fire are the primary ones I would like to turn off. It would also make the nVidia 3d vision experience better since these are not drawn at the correct depth.

If there is a way of turning these off I would be even happier about this game.

• Rob
      November 19, 2011 @ 8:21 am

I’m glad you’re enjoying the game and I’ll look into adding the ability to disable the ring around the player and the aim line in a future update.

10. marcusjclark
    November 19, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

Bought Waves the day of release and really really pleased! The demo was good but I wasn’t prepared for the awesomeness of the full game. There’s something very “pure” and intricate going on with the mechanics which kinda puts Waves in a league of it’s own in twinstick shmup world.
    The soundtrack is also absolutely superb.
    What are the names of the individual tunes on the soundtrack and is there an OST available?
    I’ve visited SMILETRON’s website and might just download everything there to see!!
    Anyway, thanks for Waves Rob! It was well worth the wait and seems to have come out of left field to take arena shmupping to a new level 🙂